Filter by Category:
Return to Category List
Listings Per Page: 

Listings: 1 to 7 of 7
Of primary interest to genealogists are service records and pension records. Most records are available through the National Archives. Many record images are becoming available on fee-based internet sites.
The first step is to examine indexes to compiled records on microfilm at the National Archives.
Pension and service records from the 18th and 19th centuries are available from the National Archives in Washington D.C., HeritageQuest Online, and the Family History Library. Some are available from Fold3 and Ancestry, which are fee-based websites.
Pension files may contain birth date and place, and the names of the wife and children.
Some Ohio military records can be found in a county courthouse. The County Recorder has Graves Registration cards for Veterans.
The County Auditor may have veterans enumeration lists, local militia rosters and commutation records.
The County Commissioners or the County Veterans Affairs Board may have records pertaining to the burial of indigent veterans as well as benefits to indigent veterans and their families.